The holiday season is fast approaching, and with that comes my annual tradition of providing you with some gift ideas for the outdoorsy and adventurous parents in your life! By helping them get outdoors with their little ones, you are helping them fulfill their own passions. From experience, the value of that goes far beyond the gift itself.
With that, here are 7 (more) gift ideas for you!
1. A Balance Bike: Training wheels are becoming a thing of the past with the invention of the balance bike for toddlers and small children. A balance bike allows a child to learn how to stride and find balance, and the coolest thing is that the bike literally grows with them (18 months – age 5)! Some parents even bring these bikes along on hikes where the terrain is quite even, and swear is makes the experience more enjoyable for everyone. Check out these two options: Strider ($129) and Burley MyKick ($119; for Canada, look on Amazon.ca)
2. MyMayu Outdoor Boots: I recently reviewed these here on adventurousparents.com and they were one of our most popular giveaways ever! These rubber boots come with a built-in gaiter, and remain securely on your child’s foot (unlike clunky old rain boots!). They also pack down to nothing and are easy to bring along on your travels. Be sure to purchase the fleece liners if you live in a colder climate. Purchase from MyMayu ($48.95) and you’ll be supporting a small Canadian business.
3. Down Booties: For even colder temperatures, check out these down booties from MEC. These are my go-to on frigid days when my kid won’t be walking much. The MEC Toaster Booties ($29) are easy to take on and off for stroller rides, and hold up well in the snow if a spontaneous playtime arises! They are also great for camping and other outdoor excursions, such as cross-country skiing, camping or hiking (when the temperatures dip below zero).
4. An Inspirational Book: Last year I recommended a few inspirational stories that other adventurous parents have shared. It reminds me what is possible with kids! This year I’ll add Up: A Mother and Daughter’s Peakbagging Adventure, by Patricia Ellis Herr, and Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World, by Ben Hewitt.
5. Mountain Baby Gift Card: Based out of Nelson, B.C., Judy Banfield over at Mountain Baby has great taste in outdoor and travel products for babies, toddlers and young children. She now has gift cards available, and you set the amount! Trust me: the outdoorsy and adventurous parents in your life will LOVE this website.
6. E-Guides for Adventurous Parents: Ahem, yes, your truly has poured heart and soul into creating two short e-guides for adventurous parents. They are chock-full of information you won’t find elsewhere about gear you’ll need and tips you’ll wish you’d known if you’re taking your baby abroad. These include Essential Gear for Travel with Baby and Adventure Travel with a Baby: 40+ Tips and Insights (both under $5). Purchase and download them here!
7. Merino Base Layers: Merino wool products can be a bit pricier than their synthetic sisters, but outdoor parents will love you forever if you pitch in and get some for their kids. Merino wool doesn’t itch and naturally regulates temperature. Check out the merino products on MEC and Mountain Baby, and don’t miss WhipperSnapper – New Zealand made clothing for active kids!
Need more ideas?
Did you miss last year’s ideas? Check them out at 6 Gift Ideas for Outdoorsy and Adventurous Parents.
Check out these other great holiday gift guides!
- 10 Holiday Gift Ideas for Adventurous Tots – Adventurous Moms
- Holiday Gift Guide for Outdoor Kids – Cragmama
- Holiday Gift Guide – Go Adventure Mom
- 25 Great Holiday Gift Ideas for Outdoor Kids + Giveaway! – Rain or Shine Mama
- Gift Guide for Outdoor-Loving Moms: Under $50 + a Giveaway – Mommy Loves Trees
- Top Ten Christmas Gifts for Snowy Winter Fun (with Giveaways!) – Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies
- Wishlist for the Backpacking Lovers and Their Little Adventurers – Rockies Chick
- The 2014 Holiday Gift Guide for Ski Moms and Their Skiing Families – Brave Ski Mom
- 10 Easy Gifts for Outdoor Adventurers – Skeedaddle
- Gift Ideas for Outdoor Women, Mamas & Babies – Rockies Girl
- 15 Outdoor Gifts You Didn’t Know Existed and Will Love – Garage Grown Gear
- Outdoor Family Holiday Gift Guide 2014 – Tales of a Mountain Mama
- Experiences vs. Things: The secret to holiday gifts that can actually buy happiness – Bring the Kids
What gift ideas do you have for outdoorsy and adventurous parents?
I thought you should know: no one told me what to write here! These products all come recommended by me, and while some of them were provided for review, it was my choice to include them in this holiday guide.